A few weeks ago we talked about exfoliation, more specifically on why we do it and on the differences between physical and chemical exfoliation (here). Well, last month the program Wishtrend affiliate provided us a tonic to try – the By Wishtrend, Mandelic Acid 5% Skin Prep Water – in exchange for our honest opinion. After a few weeks of use, I already can see results, so it’s the right time to write this post.
What is it
‘This is an exfoliating water formulated with Mandelic Acid, which works gently even on sensitive skin. Removing built-up dead skin to enhance the effects of following skincare products, it helps even out a dull and/or uneven skin tone, and smoothens rough skin’.
- Mandelic Acid (5%)
- Beta-Glucan (anti-aging, anti-inflammatory, and moisturizer);
- Panthenol (Provitamin B5, moisturizer, and anti-inflammatory);
- Centella Asiatica Extract (promotes collagen production and inhibits inflammation);
- Houttuynia Cordata Extract (antibacterial and antiviral properties).
The outer packaging has a beautiful copper color. It’s really pretty. Inside comes a plastic packaging also beautiful, simple but easy to open. The package brings 120 ml 4.1 Fl.oz. of product.
How to use
After cleansing, apply an adequate amount of product to the skin and pat lightly to absorb. Using a cotton pad, add (according to the information Wishtrend provide on their website):
- Normal skin: 5 drops (3 to 5 times per week)
- Oily skin: 5 drops (5 to 7 times per week)
- Sensitive skin: 3 drops (2 to 3 times per week)
- Acne prone skin: 3 drops or you can saturate a cotton pad and apply it directly on the skin for 30 to 60 seconds (1 to 2 times per week)
If more effective exfoliation is desired, saturate a cotton pad with product and use it to wipe the skin on every skin type.
I love the texture of this product – it’s very watery and hydrating. It’s quickly absorbed by the skin and I really can feel my skin hydrated without that greasy feeling that some products leave. I like to use it at night before bed, with my face cleaned and before I apply any other skincare product. I noticed that using this product before any other helps to prepare the skin for other products.
What I noticed was some of my old pimple scars less noticeable and the texture of the skin a little more even, nothing drastic but I’m only using it since 3 weeks so you can imagine what this may do if used more.
The Mandelic acid is derived from almonds and works directly on epidermis to detach dead skin cells from the surface of the skin. It is an AHA and you may hear this name around the skincare community but if you don’t know what it is or never heard: an AHA (Alpha Hydroxy Acid) is a natural exfoliation and hydrating agent. It has antibacterial properties, soothes and prevents inflammatory acne and improves pigmentation.
When you use an AHA there are products that you should avoid like:
- Retinol (Retinol has the effect of peeling away dead skin and using with AHA it may cause irritation)
- BHA (both have similar effects so it may cause irritation to the skin)
- Benzoyl Peroxide (BP has antibacterial properties but it’s also exfoliating, so if you use both it may cause irritation)
- Vitamin C (using AHA+Vitamin C may cause sensitive skin)
I also advise you on using always, on the next day, a moisturizer with a good SPF because it’s good to protect the skin and even if this is a gentle exfoliant, it is, after all, an exfoliant that is removing a layer of dead cells from the skin, which can make it a little weaker.
Do you like to use chemical exfoliants? What is your favorite? Leave a comment.
You can buy it here (don’t forget to use the code)
(disclaimer – this is not an ad but it does contain affiliate links, which means we make a small commission but it does not change the price in any way. The product was sent to us but all the thoughts are 100% real)
You can search more on: